Re: How to configure window focus behaviour?

> Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Il Monday 14 January 2008 23:58:36 Cameron Simpson ha scritto:
> >
> >> He's no so much annoyed by modal dialogues (which are an immense
> >> app UI design failure, but that's another topic), but that they
> >> TAKE THE FOCUS!
> >>
> >> You're typing away in a terminal, some dialogue pops up and your
> >> keyboard focus isn't in the terminal any more. If you're really
> >> lucky you were finishing a pargraph and pressed [Enter] and the
> >> dialogue took that as [OK] and did something. Who knows what? The
> >> dialogue will probably have closed itself!
> >>
> >> It's perfectly possible for a window manager to prevent this, and
> >> KDE can. So can FVWM.
> >>
> >> He's asking if the Gnome WM can prevent this. It's looking like
> >> maybe it can't.
> >
> > you couldn't have explained this problem more clearly :)
> > I'm very susprised that so few users complain about this behaviour
> > of Gnome's WM
>
> I doubt if most people run things that pop modal dialogs when they
> aren't expecting them.  When you are expecting them it is equally
> annoying for something to pop a dialog box where nothing else is going
> to happen until you've typed in it and leave your focus somewhere else.

I think that is on the application level. I'm still trying to think of
just what app does it to me, but it'll jerk me into another desktop to
pay attention to it and when I return to evolution to finish composing
one of my gems, it's buried and I have to screw with everything to dig
it back out. Irritating as all hell. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar