Re: How to configure window focus behaviour?

On 14Jan2008 16:50, rlengland@xxxxxxxxxxx <rlengland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >> I see an option to enable "focus follows mouse", but nothing to
| >> prevent focus stealing
| >Then I guess I am unclear about what you are calling focus stealing.
| >Could you explain further?
|
| I begin to suspect that the OP doesn't like the fact that pop up
| dialog windows are "modal". That is, when they come up they "steal"
| the focus until they are attended to or you divert focus manually.
|
| I don't know if there is a way around that from within the GUI.

He's no so much annoyed by modal dialogues (which are an immense app
UI design failure, but that's another topic), but that they TAKE THE
FOCUS!

You're typing away in a terminal, some dialogue pops up and your keyboard
focus isn't in the terminal any more. If you're really lucky you were
finishing a pargraph and pressed [Enter] and the dialogue took that as
[OK] and did something. Who knows what? The dialogue will probably have
closed itself!

It's perfectly possible for a window manager to prevent this, and KDE
can. So can FVWM.

He's asking if the Gnome WM can prevent this. It's looking like maybe it
can't.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Did microsoft take you today? Where do you want them to go?