Re: Updates SOLVED!

Les Mikesell wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:

    I have cleaned my dam yum 3 times today! I have not done so just
before trying freshrpms however so will try that next. The vlc at
freshrpms is much older than the one at livna. One more try today.

The vlc at freshrpms may be older, but some of its dependencies at
freshrpms are seen as _newer_ by RPM due to how RPM version comparison
works. E.g. the "0.0.0 greater than 0" case mentioned before. That's
why you run into dependency problems. It is not enough to just disable
a repo in your yum config files, you also need to erase packages
installed from that repo.

The relevant point here is that it isn't just having multiple repositories enabled during a yum run that can cause conflicts. Any package ever downloaded from one repository can trigger conflicts when another repository is enabled.
Hence my "suggestion" that the best thing to do would be to "start over" as opposed to trying to fix the mess already created. Start over, and only use one repo.

And explicit execution of "yum --enablerepo=..." for cherry-picking
packages is only for people who know what they are doing.

This just reduces the chances of getting conflicting packages, but doesn't eliminate it.
Especially if the one typing the command doesn't know what they are doing.

But, frankly, my care factor has been reduced to near zero.

--
With a gentleman I try to be a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I try to be a fraud and a half. -- Otto von Bismark