Re: Updates

On Monday 14 January 2008 01:25, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > If you are referring to the .fc7 designation, yes, I am quite aware of
> > > that.
> > >
> > > I forgot that you are inclined to bite the hand feeding you.
> > >
> > > Good luck
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> >     I wanted you to know that f7 rpm's are normal on f8. I am seeing
> > something odd.
> >

> > [root@localhost ~]# yum install vlc
> > Setting up Install Process
> > Parsing package install arguments
> > Resolving Dependencies
> >

> > The yum is not looking for a repo to get this mess. How can this be? I
> > have removed all livna repos but it does not even use them.
>
> ----
> Sure but you don't bother to do what you were asked to do.
>
> My speculation, you have vlc and packages from some other repository,
> not livna. freshrpms? If you had listed the files, we probably could
> figure it out.
>
> enable freshrpms repository again and try to update
>
> Craig

Hi Craig. I just suggested enabling the freshrpms repo again ( that's on Karls
pulseaudio thread) and trying an install of VLC, especially as x264 on my F8
with freshrpms enabled is showing as being maintained by Matthias Saou
(freshrpms), and VLC is working fine.

The problem is that 3rd party repo's don't work well together. The intention
of the repo maintainers is that there should be consistency of the package
versions available, but this doesn't seem to work out in reality, resulting
in conflicts.

Karls obviously experiencing this. I thought he'd got his VLC from Livna, but
maybe not due to the problems he's having.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Nigel.