Re: Trying to rescue a hard disk -- weired feedback??

William Case writes:

Hi;

I have a hard disk that seems broken but I am trying to save -- or at
least save the data on it.
The broken hard disk is a dual boot SCSI disk that worked.
      * BIOS says that the disk is present and accounted for i.e. right
        name and size even after swapping in and out other harddisks.
      * Using Fedora rescue disk, parted /dev/sda says can't read sda.
      * Using Fedora rescue disk, fdisk /dev/sda says can't read sda.
      * Using Fedora rescue disk, chroot /mnt/sysimage can't mount
        sysimage.
      * fdisk /mbr says can't fix mbr.  ( I am not sure whether this
        message means that nothing is wrong with the mbr or that it is
        beyond repair )

I would like to do any of the following:
      * get the hard disk working again, or,
      * view the data on the disk, and/or,
      * rescue the data on the disk.

What should I try next?

Look what happens in /var/log/messages when fdisk /dev/sda says that it can't read sda.

Also, verify that this disk is, indeed, sda. Look at dmesg to see what disks the kernel saw when it booted.