Re: Fedora/Linux as a USB Drive

max wrote:
> Adalbert Prokop wrote:
>> max wrote on Sunday 13 January 2008:
>>

>>> It sounds like what he wants is to connect two computers together with
>>> a cable and have them treat one another like flash drives.
>>>

>> I'm aware of it. :) And in my last paragraph I tried to point out how
>> difficult that would be even in theory. Of course it is theoretically
>> possible, but I never heard of something like this. YMMV. :)
>>

> I don't see why it should be difficult but I have to admit I have not
> tried such a thing. What's the difference between mounting an IPOD via
> usb and another computer? I don't see that it is that different. The
> computers have the advantage of knowing each others language, so to
> speak, I could see the benefit in communicating this way between
> machines and sharing a single network interface or simply plugging to
> machines together to distribute a compiling job.
>
> -Max

It could be done. I am guessing that because there has not been a
demand for it, that nobody has worked on it. Unless you are going to
redo the USB drivers on the "USB drive" machine, you are going to
need something like the link cable with electronics between the
machines. You would then have to write new drivers - one that lets
the usb_storage driver connect to the cable, and a driver/daemon for
the "USB drive" machine to let it act as USB drive.

I would think it would work better to use the link cable as a
network connection, and use network file sharing software of some
type. This lets you define what part of the drive you want to share.

On the other hand, if what you are after is to be able to do things
like update the OS, reparation the drive, or something like that,
you would probably be better off with a CD/USB drive you boot the
system to that turns it into a USB drive. Then you could probably
get by with a cable that swaps the data lines. The USB driver on the
"USB drive" machine would return USB information just like it was a
USB drive controller. Things like IPODs and mp3 players have
dedicated circuits for this. But you should be able to do the same
thing in software.

Mikkel