Pulseaudio

Pulseaudio is an interesting old way to allow audio to be carried or duplicated and perhaps other useful things. I am an Electrical Engineer and studied the idea of mixing a lot of audio signals on a high frequency. This is what Mr.Lennart Poettering is trying to do with what he calls Pulseaudio. I don't know just how it is done but it does work.

I got Pulseaudio working on my Fedora 8 operating system and it appeared to be working properly, but I didn't know enough about it to test many features. But I did discover that two non-Fedora applications called Skype and gMFSK will not function with Pulseaudio in operation.

   This problem I ask Lennart at Pulseaudio and he said this:

On Thu, 10.01.08 09:13, Karl Larsen (k5di@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >     I got pulseaudio working on F8 and the normal audio on movies and
> > such is fine. But I tried gMFSK which is an application that uses the
> > sound-card DSP engine. It looks fine but when I try to receive digital
> > data it suffers very bad interference and it will not transmit because
> > it says /dev/dsp is busy.

gMFSK seems to be a program that uses OSS (/dev/dsp) directly. For
those you have two options:

1) Use "padsp" to redirect it to PA. Just prefix your application call
  with "padsp".

2) Use "pasuspender" to temporarily tell PA to give up access to the
  audio device. This is probably the better way to fix this if you
  need lowest-possible latencies. (I am not sure if you need those,
  but I assume so, given this seems to be some modem sw?)

> >     Sype comes up fine and appears to receive data but when I try to
> > call anyone or answer a call they can't hear me at all, and all I hear
> > is noise.

Skype is closed source software. It's very difficult to get this
working out of the box for you, due to its nature.

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Skype

Lennart