Re: Fedora/Linux as a USB Drive

Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson írta:
Srikanth Konjarla wrote:
Wondering if it is possible to access a Fedora/Linux machine as a USB
drive. It would be very useful to transfer files between two computers
without a network.

Thanks

Srikanth

I am not sure what you are saking. If you want to install Fedora to
a USB drive, and boot off that drive, this have been covered on the
list. I believe you still need to do an expert install to be able to
install to a USB drive, and you have to "tweak" the Grub settings,
but it works well as long as your machine can boot off a USB drive.
(I have a USB drive set up that way here.)

If you are talking about attaching a USB hard drive to a Linux
machine, and transfering data to/from it, that works fine as well.

Mikkel

I guess yout mean to connect two computers via a USB cable and "see"
one of the machine ("slave") from the other ("master").
I don't think you can find such a cable prefabricated and there's a reason.
It wouldn't be a simple USB extender and the "USB host" hardware
built into PCs aren't created to deal another "host" on the USB bus.
Hint: the SCSI bus was created to deal with such a detail but Linux
SCSI adapter drivers still don't support the target mode only the initiator.

What would you want to see from the slave? Some exported FS?
Way easier and cheaper to buy a crossover cable and learn how to setup
your simple point-to-point network then e.g. Samba would autodetect
the other host on the network.

I have the network setup currently to share the files between several Linux machines and one WindowZe machine. But, i am looking to get two linux machines connected together with a USB cable that is independent of the network.

Srikanth