Re: Getting bcm4318 wifi card to work with Fedora 6 & 8

Peter Reed wrote:
On Thursday 27 December 2007 05:29:21 am Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Rick Bilonick wrote:
Several weeks ago I posted that my Broadcom bcm4318 mini pci wifi
card stopped working with Fedora 6 kernels after 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6
in a Dell Inspiron 2200. I had used ndiswrapper and the error
messages I was getting seemed to indicate that I needed new
firmware. Apparently, this was coming from the newer native bcm43xx
driver built into the newer kernels - not from ndiswrapper. No one
seemed to have any clue what was wrong. I inadvertently discovered
that the reason was that ndiswrapper needed the b43 driver
blacklisted (in addition to blacklisting the bcm43xx driver) for the
newer kernels. I found a mention of blacklisting the b43 driver in
someone's posting on the Internet.

I discovered this when I temporarily switched a hard drive from a
different laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) that had Fedora 8
installed without ndiswrapper. When I put the F8 drive in the Dell
with the 4318 mini pci wifi card, I still could not get the 4318 to
work with the native drivers (it seemed so close - but would ALWAYS
end up causing the system to freeze while networkmanager was trying
to connect). IMO, the native bcm43xx drivers just will not work with
the 4318 in the Dell Inspiron 2200 under F8. (Maybe someone has it
working and can prove me wrong.) Once I blacklisted the b43 and used
ndiswrapper with bcmwl5.inf, the 4318 worked under F8 (and it works
very well as it did before under F6, and blacklisting b43 under F6
also works with the newer F6 kernels). So at least I know when I
install F8 on the Dell's own hard drive I will be able to use the
4318.
well, now that i've beaten jigdo to within an inch of its life, maybe
i should go back and "cookbook-ify" my wiki page on fedora and
broadcom wireless:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora

i haven't looked at it in over a month, and it may be that things have
improved since then.  unless there's already a decent HOWTO on that
somewhere.  john?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

I have to say I think the site has been hacked you might want to check.
Peter

Try this, instead
http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8

~~R