Re: n00b questions about ipods and linux (fedora 6 and 7)

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 17:08 -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I am thinking about buying a 160 GB iPod for my daughter for her
> > approaching golden birthday (she's turning 18).
<snip>
> > My daughter is a budding classical concert pianist getting ready to go
> > off to Music Conservatory.  She wants to use the iPod for studying the
> > various pieces of music she's working on.
<snip>
> > Are there tools in Fedora 6 or 7 that allow this?  As I say, I'm a
> > genuine n00b here.  What are the linux/iPod limitations, if any?  If
> > you are using a 160 GB iPod with Fedora, I'd like to hear about it.
> ----
> There are a number of programs that can interact with an iPod BUT Apple
> doesn't supply firmware updates for any OS other than Windows or
> Macintosh.
>
> The 160 Gb is very new model (6 weeks or so), I have an 80 and can use
> it with Linux.
>
> gtkpod, amarok both work with an iPod and I'm sure that there is other
> software that can work with an iPod too.
>
> The bigger issue is that I very much prefer the 'AAC' format over the
> mp3 format and that's been a two step process on Linux - rip first to
> 'wav' and then convert to 'm4a'
>
> Apple's iTunes software handles that a bit more elegantly than anything
> that I've been able to accomplish with Linux.
>
> Also, I have a lot of CD's (600+) including boxed sets and I still have
> only filled my iPod with under 30 Gb of music so 160 Gb seems extreme
> unless...you were going to do something like this (which seems ideal for
> any musician)...
>
> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/belkin-makes-ipod-into-recording-studio-226614.php

Thanks Craig for this information.  I've done a bit of reading since my post.
The new 160GB is a so-called "Gen 6" device.  Evidently Apple, in their infinite wisdom,
"fixed" things so stuff like gtkpod, &c. wouldn't work.  Something about "adding
checksums to the code".  But certain heros have come to the rescue and "broken the code"
so now this stuff works (or is supposed to).  Is your 80GB a Generation 6 device?

We've not carefully listed to AAC on a good sound system but my
daughter (who, unlike me, is definately _not_ technically inclined,
nor inclined to argue about these things) says she can here "funny
stuff" when listing to (say) Beethoven's Waldstein from a high-bitrate
MP3 rip.  So I've just taken to using .wav files.
That's what I was planning to put on the iPod, at least initially.

You mentioned Apple's iTunes software.  Does that run under Linux?
If not, how do you use it?

Regarding the 160GB size, the answer is in 3 parts: (1) It's new. (2)
She's 18. (3) I'm willing to spend the delta difference for my
sweetheart. :-)

Besides a 30 minute stereo recording of a concerto in .wav format
sampled at 48KHz can eat half a Gig.

Thanks again.

Dean