Re: can't go to single user mode

>    I am not sure what the question is. But if you want into the mode

Then why respond?

> where there is no X windows or other things in a root terminal type init
> 3 and you will for sure be in a single user mode, I think.

Complete and utter bunk as related to the OP.  Mode 3 is multi-user and
networking enabled.  Single user mode is not.

If the OP ends up in mode 3 or mode 5 instead of single user, try:

telinit 1

as root and see what happens.  And look very carefully at your
/etc/inittab file to see what is going on.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx