Re: can't go to single user mode

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:04 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
ok, i'm confused ... wouldn't the only available runlevel options on
the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf be precisely those for the "init"
command, and the ones that you could add manually while at the grub
menu early in the boot process?

according to "man init", that would include "1", "s" or "S", but i
don't see the word "single" anywhere there.  and i just tested that by
duplicating the default stanza in grub.conf, renaming the title, and
just adding "1" to the end of the kernel line.  selecting that option
from the boot-time grub menu takes me to single-user mode, just as i
expected.

unless i'm misreading the actual problem here.

rday
Why again are you trying to put 1 or single into the grub.conf
permenantly rather then doing this by editing the line when the grub
menu comes up.

well, first, i thought that was what the OP was asking for.  also,
it's actually quicker to just arrow up or down to a single-user form
of the grub entry and hit ENTER, as compared to going into grub edit
mode and editing the kernel line.

but here's something i just noticed that strikes me as weird -- if you
have a grub password, you'll need to enter it to edit the boot line,
but you *don't* need it to simply make a non-default selection.  i
*think* i've just verified that, but if someone else wants to confirm
it, feel free.  that seems like a security hole.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook:    http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

I am not sure what the question is. But if you want into the mode where there is no X windows or other things in a root terminal type init 3 and you will for sure be in a single user mode, I think.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User