Re: Thread Stealing [was Installing MP3 for Amarok? How?]

On Thursday 10 January 2008 09:11:06 am Paul Lemmons wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008 08:21:59 am Paul Lemmons wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > also... please do not reply to a different message and change the
> > > subject to post to the list. This is called "thread stealing" and it is
> > > very impolite.
> >

> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Uh, can you explain what you mean by 'thread stealing'?  I wasn't
> > even aware I was doing what you pointed out. Can you cite a reference
> > where I was doing that?
> >
> > I am sincere what I am asking so that I can prevent myself from doing
> > it unconsciously.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> When I saw your original note it appeared as a reply to a note discussing
> "ntpd". For this to happen you more that likely (I am guessing) did a
> "reply" on that note to pick up the address of the list and then changed
> the subject and replaced the body of the note. When you do this there are
> still headers that are preserved from the original note that allows an
> email client (like T-bird or Kmail) to thread the messages, keeping
> "conversations" grouped together. What I saw was a discussion of ntpd
> interrupted by a change in "conversation" caused by your note. If I have
> made a mistake, please accept my apology. My comment was not meant as a
> flame. There may be other ways to cause this to happen and T-bird may have
> lost its mind. All things are possible :)

No offense.  Just wanted to make sure that I have a functioning email program
and not being simply ignorant.

It is interesting that I am definitely using Kmail!  But from what I can tell,
it appears at my end that I created a new message, and then simply hit
the 'reply to' button, added my comments to the bottom of the file, and fired
it away.  I could not see anything that was added inadvertently by Kmail -
but if you do see something that is 'added/mutilated/whatever', please reply
with the offensive message - I'd like to know if Kmail is doing something
behind my back.