Thread Stealing [was Installing MP3 for Amarok? How?]

On Thursday 10 January 2008 08:21:59 am Paul Lemmons wrote:

<snip>
> also... please do not reply to a different message and change the
> subject to post to the list. This is called "thread stealing" and it is
> very impolite.

Thanks for the tip.

Uh, can you explain what you mean by 'thread stealing'?  I wasn't
even aware I was doing what you pointed out. Can you cite a reference
where I was doing that?

I am sincere what I am asking so that I can prevent myself from doing
it unconsciously.

Thanks!

When I saw your original note it appeared as a reply to a note discussing "ntpd". For this to happen you more that likely (I am guessing) did a "reply" on that note to pick up the address of the list and then changed the subject and replaced the body of the note. When you do this there are still headers that are preserved from the original note that allows an email client (like T-bird or Kmail) to thread the messages, keeping "conversations" grouped together. What I saw was a discussion of ntpd interrupted by a change in "conversation" caused by your note.

If I have made a mistake, please accept my apology. My comment was not meant as a flame. There may be other ways to cause this to happen and T-bird may have lost its mind. All things are possible :)