Re: Wireless network problems - Dell Inspiron 1501

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:48:18AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:20:21 -0500
> "John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Why did you "have" to do that?
>
> As stated above, I "had to do that" because that's the only way that I found to
> make this wireless card work.
>
> > Did you consider simply installing
> > the proper firmware so that the b43 driver would access the card?
>
> I spent most of a day searching for and downloading assorted firmware and
> drivers for Broadcom wireless chipsets from multiple sources, running
> b43-fwcutter, and so on. The only one that I managed to find that can actually
> see this BCM94311MCG chipset is R151519.EXE downloaded directly from Dell's
> website.

There really is only one firmware to download for use with
b43-fwcutter.  It comes from openwrt.org:

	http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2

Extract that and run:

	b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod/wl_apsta.o

Be sure to unload ndiswrapper so as to not interfere with b43.
Then 'modprobe -r b43 ; modprobe b43'.  Does that work for you?
If not, please open a bugzilla and include the output of 'lspci -n'
and the contents of /var/log/messages.  Be sure to CC me or assign
it to me.

Also, please make sure you are running a recent kernel -- please
include 'uname -r' output in your bugzilla should you need to open one.

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville