Re: Encrypting a partition

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 03:11:22PM +0000, Luciano Rocha wrote:

> >   http://www.msquared.id.au/articles/cryptroot/
>
> Why does it require javascript?

I've used TiddlyWiki to write the article, which is basically a
wiki-in-a-single-page system.  I find it a nice way to write documentation
for things.

> > With my article, you don't need anything in crypttab (including keys
> > or other sensitive information).
>
> I didn't see anything on that page that specified to the system to mount
> the encrypted home on boot.

My article describes a way to encrypt the entire volume group, and a patch
to mkinitrd that decrypts the the volume group during boot.

> Using LUKS for swap? It's an interesting idea, but I'd still like to
> nuke the contents of the swap on new boot.

Since the entire volume group is encrypted, so is swap.  You can still
nuke the swap on each boot as well, if you like.

> More information about the subject is always welcome. The ideal thing
> would be for upstream support for the most usual methods mentioned
> (including during install).

I agree, but I wanted to play with it right now (couldn't wait for
something to be included), so I wrote my own patch based on some
information already on the net and improved it a lot.

Feel free to back up your data, try it out, and give me some feedback.

Regards, Msquared...