Re: some simple questions on VNC

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
> > associated with each listening port?  that is, after i start vncserver
> > listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
> > suddenly active as well.  what are they for?
>
> 6017 I think is X being X.
>
> Try this:
> In your VNC session, open a terminal and run the command
> xhost +
>
> and from another host or session
> DISPLAY=vnchost:17 xterm
> (making the proper substitution for vnchost).
>
> I believe one can use this to get anaconda to display on another system than
> the install box by setting DISPLAY in the boot menu.

that sort of sounds reasonable, i'll look into that further.  i do
note that you can prevent the vncserver from listening on the 60xx
TCP port by invoking it with the "-nolisten tcp" option but i still
haven't clarified in my mind what it is you'd be trying to prevent by
doing that.  i'll keep reading.

rday

p.s.  in terms of securing VNC, i note that the general advice is to
run vncserver with the options:

  -nohttpd		to disqualify browser-based (Java?) viewers
  -localhost		to enforce SSH tunneling
  -nolisten tcp		(not sure about this yet)

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook:    http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook