Re: No way to boot on 2.6.23.12-52.fc7

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 01:16 +0000, Dr P Dupre wrote:
> I do not know if you are right but, how do you explain that I can boot
> fine with an older kernel ?

Perhaps one kernel has less of a problem with dealing with a duplicate
partition label?  I don't think we have enough information from you to
really diagnose the issue.

Looking at your supplied grub.conf file, your older kernel boots using
"root=/dev/sda8" to say where "/" is, that's absolute and unequivical.
I'd expect that the newer kernel should boot the same, given the same
information.  I'd expect both of them to have booting problems if you
had "root=LABEL=/" and two "/" *labelled* partitions (whether you might
it read-only or read/write is irrelevent).

You really need to remove that problem before worrying about anything
else.  I haven't seen you say whether you have.  But relabel one of the
partitions.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386