Re: MP3 Players

John Summerfield wrote:
Jose Celestino wrote:
Words by John Thompson [Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:09:26PM -0600]:

Most MP3 devices are seen as ordinary USB mass storage devices by linux. What's the problem?

The problem is that some vendors put a lot of effort into locking the
device db to only work with a particular application and that makes
things a tad harder.

That's unfair, I can manipulate playlists on mine. I don't see how a USB storage implementation would allow that.

I've never had to plug an iPod in, but I was under the impression
that (at some earlier stage?) they used UMS/Firewire to copy files
across, but still used a database file to manage the files on the
device.  This may be completely wrong, but it is possible.

--
imalone