Re: Google Earth

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Steven Stern wrote:
I don't think it's an NVidia thing. I'm getting very flaky stuff and I
have an ATI Radeon card (using the default Fedora drivers).  GoogleEarth
starts, but it disappears, or flickers uncontrollably or, as just
happened, locked the system up requiring a power cycle.  It worked well
on F7, but has not worked well at all on F8.

I have similar problems on my FC6 Radeon Mobility X1600 laptop.  Google
earth runs the first time, but not the 2nd without restarting the
X-server.  It hangs my X-server hard.  I have to network in just to
restart the X-server.  If I just kill the GoogleEarth program, the whole
machine locks up soon thereafter.  But not if I kill/restart the X
server (fglrx).

On my FC5 desktop with an old GeForce 2 MX400 nVidia card, it was rock
solid, running 1st time, every time.  I have not yet tried it since I
updated it from FC5 to F8.

It works fine with the end of the line ati driver, xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.196-2.fc9. Any later driver locks up in a loop for X in general. I believe the performance is better than with older versions of X or of the ati driver (Fedora 7 or 8)

HP ze4300 laptop, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1 graphics.

Jim

--
Afternoon very favorable for romance.  Try a single person for a change.