Re: java again really

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 16:29 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Like I said before, I haven't installed a fedora since FC6 - but until
> recently I thought I was just waiting for the outside resources I need
> to catch up.  CentOS is fine, but unlike the commercial RHEL version
> that actually solves the fedora-specific problem that spawned this whole
> thread, CentOS does not supply a copy of Sun java.
----
Not a fedora issue, but it was quite simple to install Sun's java on
CentOS-5
----
> > I give up
>
> Does that mean you actually like a distribution that doesn't work out of
> the box and is actively working to reduce it's cooperation with the
> outside resources that supply the things it needs to work?  I don't see
> much choice but to change to Ubuntu or one of the others as soon as I
> become paranoid about the end of security updates on my FC6 boxes.
> There's just a lot of baggage related to installation and administration
> tools that goes with a distribution switch and I hate to give up what
> I've learned from experience back to RH4.x versions.
----
since updates are indeed toast on FC6, I have to presume that what you
are referring to is probably K12LTSP (derived from FC6) and given the
current state of LTSP development, you are probably migrating to Ubuntu
anyway so I am sort of wondering if you aren't just putting out straw
man arguments here. If you aren't running F7 or F8, any point you might
have regarding usage of java (Sun or otherwise) on F7 or F8 is
irrelevant.

Peter's assertion is surely clear enough, that Fedora does have
community participation and you can join the development group to help
guide the packaging, at least to become involved in the process but
clearly you want this ability without the commitment. Some people choose
to curse the darkness and some choose to light candles.

Craig