Re: small machine needs a small linux.

Simon Slater wrote:
On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 13:55 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
shows recommended CPU for graphical Fedora 8 is still only 400 MHz,
RAM only 256M
Thanks for all the replies!! I have tried Fedora 7 on an eMachine with
512 of ram (that I tossed into it) and it really lags slower than my
old
old 486DX2-66 when I ran Caldera on it back when... with 32 megs of
memory. So, I was figuring that with a small enough distro they should
lift up their skirts and haul ass. No, I don't have to have rpm, but I
just prefer it since back when.
Just for grins, I'll re-install Fedora 7 to the eMachine and not
install
KDE or Gnome. I'll report back tomorrow what occurred and how she runs
and feels. Ric

I run FC6 on a PII 233MHz 512MB RAM with KDE.  For most general purposes
like word processing, mail, small graphics it is not too slow.  Need
some patience for big graphics, form letters  and web sites with lots of
flash.  Won't play DVDs.  Depends on how the charity wants to use them I
s'pose.
Try the flashblock extension for firefox. It lets you select which embedded flash to load and display. It's great for saving processor power on any machine...flash isn't exactly the most efficient piece of software out there....
Endy