Re: Cannot Change essid using iwconfig

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 13:55 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
> > If I try to manually configure the nic using iwconfig, I can set the key
> > but I CANNOT get it to set the essid:
> >
> > [root@localhost ~]# iwconfig wlan0 essid default
> > [root@localhost ~]# iwconfig wlan0
> > wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
> > Not-Associated
> >           Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
> >           RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
> >           Encryption key:off
> >           Power Management:off
> >           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
> >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> >
> > (iwconfig will set the key, but I'm not showing the key info.)
> >
> > When I use dhclient to obtain a lease, it tells me no leases were
> > offered (even though the other laptop is connected to the wireless
> > network and I've had them both wirelessly connected at the same time
> > when using Fedora 6 on the Dell).
>
> I'm not a WiFi guru, but it seems to me that if "iwlist scan" works
> there cannot be too much wrong with WiFi on your system.
>
> I would check /etc/dhcpd.conf on the remote system
> to make sure it matches your WiFi device.
> If the MAC is given, is it correct?
> If it is not given, try adding it.
> Could there be some duplication in the file,
> as you have been changing your disk?
> Does "service dhcpd restart" work OK on the remote machine?
>
> Also, is /etc/dhclient-wlan0.conf (or /etc/dhclient.conf)
> on your local machine reasonable?
>
> Are you using NetworkManager (NM)?
> If so, you could try turning it off
> and run system-config-network.
>
> As I said, I am not an expert on WiFi,
> just someone who has had a lot of experience with it, mostly bad ...
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I removed ndiswrapper and re-installed everything. Still didn't work.
Changed the router to WEP open system (from shared key) (still requires
a key from what I can tell), still didn't work. Took the laptop to work
to try connecting to the wpa network (after re-enabling networkmanager)
- couldn't connect via WPA. Brought it home, turned it on (with an old
D-Link 650 card which I had been using in place of the bcm4318 mini wifi
card) and it connected to a neighbors network (at least I think it was a
neighbors network) but I thought it was through the 650 pcmcia card. But
when I checked, networkmanager clearly showed the available networks for
both wireless cards and it was definitely connected via the 4318 (which
I've been working on for a week). I thought this was too good to be true
- not sure what has changed. I checked to make sure I was actually
connected (using ssh to connect to my Linux machine at work) and was
successful. I disconnected, and clicked my network in networkmanager and
to my utter amazement it connected. Again, not sure what had previously
gone wrong.

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"default"
Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
00:18:E7:0B:50:B0
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xx   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:70/100  Signal level:-51 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm

Rick B.