Re: java again really

On Thursday 03 January 2008 22:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> >Nigel Henry wrote:
> >> I've tried to help folks out on getting websites that require Java to
> >> work. Pre F8 there is no chance without Sun's JRE. On F8 the icedtea
> >> browser plugin partially works. I say this because if you look at the
> >> link below, the jigsaw applets won't load. If you go to the bottom of
> >> the page, click on Site Map, then under the "Help Pages"
> >> Troubleshooting, then someway down the troubleshooting page, click on
> >> "bubble simulation". The bubble simulation runs, but each bubble is
> >> followed by thick black lines, so something is not working as it should.
> >> With Sun's JRE installed, and making sure to remove the icedtea browser
> >> plugin (as it still shows up in Firefox's about:plugins, and wants to
> >> take precedence in trying to load applets from websites (much as Totem
> >> tries to do with trying to play stuff that it can't play)) the bubble
> >> simulation now works as expected, and the jigsaw applets load ok.
> >>
> >> http://www.jigzone.com
> >
> >Please file bugs like this so that the IcedTea people can see them.
> >
> >Andrew
>
> I may be in the same boat.  The contruction gfx at the top of the screen
> works, but the center window remains empty regardless.  The selected puzzle
> loads forever, except it says 'done' in the info line at the bottom.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Hi Gene. Ideally remove the icedtea browser plugin, using Apt, as I do, or
Yum, or Smart.Your choice, but just get rid of the damned thing. As an
alternative, go to to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and remove/delete
libjavaplugin.so. I am presuming that you have Sun's JRE installed, and in
which case before removing the libjavaplugin.so, you should have Firefox's
about:plugins showing both the gcj stuff, and Sun's jre
(libjavaplugin_oji.so). Having got rid of libjavaplugin.so (the gcj thing
that don't work), restart Firefox, and run about:plugins. Hopefully you will
only have the libjavaplugin_oji.so showing now, apart from your other
plugins.

Now try .  http://www.jigzone.com, and if all's gone well you may be able to
waste some time playing some interesting jigsaws.

I'll be back.

Nigel.