Re: Custom F8 kernal and ath5k

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 15:32 -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
> Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >
> >> If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
> >> madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.
> >>

> > I've got a similar problem as the original post. I wonder how I make sure the
> > madwifi driver is used instead of the ath5k driver.
> >
> > If the madwifi driver supports more hardware wouldn't it make sense to not use
> > the ath5k driver at all ?
> >
> > regards,
> > Marcel
> >

> yea, i checked and currently ath5k does not support my card. Not really
> sure what to do at this point other than buy an Intel wireless card.

I have an AR5416 pcmcia card (D-Link DWA-652) that I'm running on a
laptop using F8.  I'm connecting to an old access point that only
understands WEP.  I can plug the card in, and it will come up reliably.

The behavior of NetworkManager regressed from F7 to F8, so I disabled
it:
chkconfig NetworkManager off

Secondly, the ath5k module was getting loaded, even with an "alias ath5k
off" in modprobe.conf, so I removed it from /lib/modules.  There's
probably a better way, but I was too lazy to look up the interaction
with pcmcia hotplug events.  Since you have a PCI card, it may not be a
problem with you.

Finally, I changed the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 to:

DEVICE=ath0
MODE=Managed
WIRELESS=yes
RATE=Auto
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:01:02:03:04:05
ESSID=MYESSID
KEY=mywepkey

You'll need to change ONBOOT to yes, and supply your own values for
HWADDR, ESSID, and KEY.  If you're not using dhcp then change bootproto
to none.

Also, I had to build the madwifi drivers from an svn checkout to get
support for my chipset.

Good luck,
Dave