Re: Java problem

On 01Jan2008 09:10, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you are doing a default x86 Sun JDK install, you will find the
>> distributables in /usr/java/jdk.../bin directory. If you are using Java
>> 6 then you should also see /usr/java/default and /usr/java/latest
>> symlinks pointing to the Java6 directory.
>>
>> You could add /usr/java/default/bin to your path (either by modifying
>> /etc/profile file, or in any other file that you use to setup your
>> environment)
>>
>> Now, you should be able to run whatever command that you wanted to run:
>> 	java -jar XYZ.jar
>>
>> Rogue
>>
> Hi Rogue, I would never guessed the above. Turns out you need to be using a
> root login.

No, you should _not_ have to be root. In fact, you should try quite hard
to avoid being root when not doing system administration.

| But I have the jEdit installed but now reading the man page to
> see how to do it :-)

Always a good start.

> Thank you so much. I was sure that having no /usr/bin/jar meant I did
> something wrong. But the new stuff takes new ways. Thanks a lot!

The other thing you should bear in mind is that "jar" is a tool like "ar",
"tar" or "zip" - it constructs, inspects or unpacks ".jar" files.

To _run_ a java program you want the "java" command.

Usually a Java app is distributed as a jar file, an archive containing the
program, and the command "java -jar foo.jar" is used to run it.

You still need "java" in your $PATH, or to invoke "java" explicitly (eg
"/usr/java/bin/java") if it is not in your $PATH. Usually it is desirable to
adjust your $PATH you include this stuff, saving painful long paths later.

Both "java" and "jar" have manual pages, quite good ones. If java in
installed out of the "vendor" area (here "vendor" means redhat/fedora
and "/usr/bin" is part of their area - that they expect a free hand
in), you will need to adjust your $MANPATH to include the "..../man"
directory of wherever the java package is installed, much as you have to
adjust $PATH to include the "..../bin" directory to run "java" without
using the full path of the command.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743