Re: Way to temporarily disable plugins in Firefox, when testing site requirements

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Sunday 30 December 2007 21:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:

>> >I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
>> >to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
>> >another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
>> >work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
>> >like flash).
>>
>> Another possibility, and one I've used for a while now because a blow it
>> all away install of the next new version doesn't wipe it out, is to put
>> your plugins directory tree out of the browsers own install tree, then
>> symlink it to the real directory.  To disable all plugins is then a matter
>> of going to that browsers tree and blowing away the plugins symlink.  Its
>> easily restored.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Hi Gene. Rahul's suggestion only suspends extensions (netcraft, add block
>plus, etc) , but not the plugins in about:plugins.
>
>What would be ideal for me is having 2 desktop launchers for Firefox. One
>having all plugins in about:plugins enabled, and the other having no plugins
>in about:plugins enabled.
>
>Perhaps I'm asking a bit much here, but folks from time to time have
> problems accesing sites, due to missing plugins, or faulty plugins, and
> being able to start Firefox with nothing in about:plugins, go to a site,
> and see what plugins the site wants would be really usefull.
>
>Any idiot proof instructions for doing the above?
>
>Nigel.

Well, in the icon I launch it from is the path to the executable, located in
the third tab of its properties, brought up by right clicking the icon.

There is not any reason that I know of that this path to the executable
couldn't be a script to set the options in one of the icons to disable the
plugins by a cli option I think someone posted just now.  There may be even
simpler ways, but that is how I would approach it, while maintaining a fully
functioning version at the same time in the other icon.  I'd also change the
icons name so you knew at a glance which one you were about to click on, but
that's a given one shouldn't have to RTFM to discover, just common sense. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)