Re: Way to temporarily disable plugins in Firefox, when testing site requirements

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:27:26 -0600
>
>Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There seems to be no quick and easy (and easily reversible) way to
>> disable plugins.
>
>I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
>to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
>another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
>work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
>like flash).

Another possibility, and one I've used for a while now because a blow it all
away install of the next new version doesn't wipe it out, is to put your
plugins directory tree out of the browsers own install tree, then symlink it
to the real directory.  To disable all plugins is then a matter of going to
that browsers tree and blowing away the plugins symlink.  Its easily
restored.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)