maybe yum-updatesd? (was Re: yum updates corrupting rpmdb)

Joe Smith wrote:
This is the second update in as many days that has resulted in a corrupted rpm database for me. ...

Just an update, FWIW.

I continued to have routine rpmdb corruption issues, sometimes with as simple a command as "yum remove foo-1.2.3-1.fc8". The rebuilddb procedure was always successful and allowed me to proceed with minimal package management, but after the next reboot (it's just a desktop: booted mornings; shut down at night), yum commands would encounter corruption again.

This continued up until about a week ago, when I decided that I would try shutting off yum-updatesd altogether, and since then I've had zero problems with any yum commands, including two updates involving several packages.

I realize this is purely circumstantial, and I have no explanation why no one else is reporting trouble, if there's a problem with yum-updatesd.

Since it still wouldn't prove anything to re-enable yum-updatesd and see the problem return (or not), and I don't care to fiddle with rebuilddb without a chance to get some solid evidence in return, I'm just going to leave yum-updatesd off, for now.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for further steps to understanding this, I'd be most interested to hear them.

<Joe