Re: yum updates corrupting rpmdb

Todd Denniston wrote:
try
df -h / /var /usr

I don't remember what all went wrong when it happened to me (been a few years), but if the system does not have enough space to hold the update rpms AND apply the updates at the same time, then you can get several things about doing updates messed up.

On systems with limited disk space, I usually hand yum update a few packages at a time with `yum clean`s in between each yum update.

at 200MB free in /var/ it looks like you have enough space to download all of the updates, the question is: are / and /usr similarly provisioned with free space?

Good thought, thanks.

I have exactly the same problem, that's why I checked the free space. I just didn't show all the partitions ;-)

/, /tmp and /usr were all <100% as well. But it's possible that space was freed up before I checked it.

I've run out of space during an update lots of times and never had a database problem. Either a download fails and the update stops, or an install fails (space check) and it stops--always cleanly in the past.

The total amount ofd space for this batch (~30M) was within my seat-of-the-pants "safe" zone.

But, you're right, I could easily see how running out of space at just the wrong time could cause the db to corrupt, and I can't rule out the possibility that could've happened this time.

So far, so good. I just have to wait and see what happens when the next updates land.

Thanks for your help.

<Joe