Re: network interface virbr0 ...what is it?

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 10:47 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > "virbr0 192.168.122.0" is the virtual bridge network created by F8 VM
> > > (virtual machine) implementation.
> > > All guest machines hosted by the host machine will be part of this
> > > 192.168.122.0 network.  I imagine
> > > you installed some package from the 'Virtual Machine' group.  If you
> > > don't really need it, you can remove
> > > the VM option and I think F8 would clean itself up.
> >
> > Thanks! I'm running F7 and I'm not sure what package is in that "virtual
> > machine" group. Would that be something like zen?
>
> That's "Xen" and yes, that's the virtual machine stuff.
>
> >  Is it doing any harm?
>
> Not really.  Kinda useless if you're not going to run Xen.
>
> > I just was wondering what the heck it was and network manager wasn't
> > showing or controlling it. Merry Xmas to everyone! Ric
>
> Network manager won't control that as it's under control of the Xen
> kernel.

You know the symptoms ...the installer asks an innocent question and you
go "why the hell not?" and push the candy-like shiny red button to
confirm your choice. No smoke, no harm. Then I noted with alarm this xen
kernel and beat it out to submission. I have a stock kernel now and I
guess I just have the remnants of my original installation-time button
pushing escapade now orphaned. Thanks for the info! Red is never a good
color to push. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar