Re: [Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:49:11 -0800 (PST)
"Dean S. Messing" <deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How does one get into one's system from one's laptop if one is traveling
> and forced to use the local hotel internet connection?

If you can't know where you'll be connecting from, you probably can't
use the IP address restrictions, but at least you can allow only
public key access which will make things more secure.

Actually, I once considered building a automated system so I could
send my computer an email (which it would poll for every few minutes)
to tell the system to enable external access, so I could leave the
system closed off most of the time, and only open it when I wanted
access, but that seemed to be way too much trouble. The public key
only scheme is pretty secure.