Re: [Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 06:24:26 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     From my own experience I learned you need to use real good passwords
> on EVERYTHING. I thought my user password was safe because no one can
> get to that. WRONG. A ssh connection can use your weak user password to
> get in.
>
>     So use passwords that include letters upper and lower case and
> numbers. Then sleep well at night.

Better solution:

Specify only the usernames and IP addresses allowed to log in through ssh
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Disallow password logins completely in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and use keys
instead.

Add the appropriate entries to /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to deny
remote access to ssh (and all other services)