Re: Java problem

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:18 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> Them?  Fedora is the one that ships something that isn't java that
> >> executes when you type 'java'.
> > ----
> > I guess I missed the post where you found something that didn't work
> > because of their GCJ version.
>
> I omitted that, thinking it was self-evident. It doesn't run OpenNMS,
> the resin web server, or much of anything else I've found.  Even
> azureus, the simple bittorrent client has this statment on their wiki:
> "Azureus 2.4.0.0 and greater may run with GCJ 4.1.0 or greater, however
> some people experience problems which does not occur with the J2SE
> version."  Who has time for that kind of trouble?
----
openNMS isn't packaged or distributed with Fedora is it?

azureus seems to work fine with gcj
----
> > not if you run
> > alternatives --config java # and set it to Sun's installation
>
> But it doesn't work with Sun's RPM, which my point.
----
it doesn't? It has worked for me on Fedora 7/8 CentOS 5 and RHEL 5

I must be lucky then.
----
>   It could have been
> made to work out of the box for the price of a couple of symlinks and
> saved every user hours and hours of time and trouble. Other
> distributions have gone farther than that.
----
Indeed they have...you always have the option of using another
distribution that is more in line with your thinking.
----
>  And RedHat does for their
> paying up2date customers, while still claiming they "can't" redistribute
> for fedora users: http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2007-0582.html
----
but that is on a separate CD and isn't installed by anaconda. It's no
different than you can download directly from Sun and it isn't even the
current version
----

> > not if you set the proper environment variables such as
> > CLASSPATH/JAVA_HOME/JRE_HOME or simply put the java binary in your $PATH
>
> Yes, but then that part is done wrong for every java component that is
> included in the distro.
----
or done correctly for any user that wants to exercise control over their
own environment.
----
> > Too bad that Sun's instructions for doing these things are vague or
> > non-existent.
>
> If it is no trouble, will you set it up my computers for free?  Or at
> least quantify your meaning by stating what you would charge?  Sun has
> no instructions for --alternatives, and if you think the jpackage
> documentation (for the versions they supported - they seem to have given
> up on fedora) to build an alternatives-conforming package is simple and
> straightforward you've found something I missed.
----
sure...give me root   ;-)

seriously though, java just hasn't been a problem for me and I've been
fooling with it quite a bit lately with Alfresco, docbook-XSL and even
managed to implement ruby-java-bridge for ongoing Ruby on Rails
development.
----

> The only straightfoward way I've found is the yummable version at the
> opennms site, with dropping the sun binary under /usr/java and replacing
> every shred of the alternatives system you can find with direct symlinks
> as a distant second.
----
again...opennms is not a fedora/redhat package so it's pre-requisites
are not of fedora packaging concerns. Do you really run opennms on a
Fedora system anyway? I thought you were more inclined to install stuff
like this on an 'Enterprise' type server.

I just looked at the openNMS site and it appears that java isn't
included in openNMS packages so you still have to manage a separate
install.

By the way, I've been using Zenoss which appears to be similar to
OpenNMS...have you any comparison to offer?
----
> I think its amusing that Linux browser plugins haven't worked for so
> long, yet it is so highly touted.
----
which ones don't work for you? That hasn't been an issue for me
----
>  Solaris may avoid the issue completely
> because I think they have a generic 32/64 bit library thunking facility.
>   I don't recall having any problem on Macs either but haven't paid much
> attention to what is 32 bit vs. 64 bit since it all seems to work.
>
> > With Solaris, you also get ZFS but
> > on the other hand, you get a ridiculously ancient perl-5.6 because they
> > don't want to break backwards compatibility. This is an imperfect world
> > we live in.
>
> ZFS is just one of the many things that linux can't have because of the
> restrictions in the GPL (and Linus's refusal to stick to his early claim
> that his license exception regarding interface use applies to kernel
> modules). The number actually includes all code with any license that
> doesn't exactly match the GPL - and it always will.
>
> I had hoped that Nexenta was going to give us the perfect combination of
> OpenSolaris with zfs and an up to date Ubuntu based userland, but the
> team seems to have gotten sidetracked building a commercial file server
> appliance first.  Maybe Apple will get their zfs out soon.
----
begin holding your breath now. When Apple does get around to releasing
something like this, it should only take a few updates to actually get
it to work as they seem stuck in a perpetual beta loop. Apple
continually ships broken software - i.e. Back to My Mac
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9346 / Quicktime which has had a horrible
year wrt security issues and on and on.

Craig