Re: Java problem

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 09:20 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> >    It is interesting the hoops technical people jump through for
> > Political reasons. Java exists on a web page somewhere and it is
> > operating system independent. It is free to all users.
> >
> >    But the users need to know how to get it and mount it. If Fedora is
> > not going to use the real java in their distribution it is another
> > reason other versions of Linux are slowly being used by the public (I
> > have not seen any yet in my Wal-Mart).
> >
> >    In competition with Windows you do things that are not good from the
> > free software point of view. In my opinion we should change the
> > definition of free to include software available free but without source
> > code. In this group comes the driver for Nvidia hardware. I think what's
> > happening is a Political fix where someone is using the Nvidia software
> > which is NOT with a source code, and when a new kernel is ready they run
> > the Nvidia software and make the kernel driver(s), which are then put in
> > a rpm file and sent to users as a Update. It looks good but is it really
> > good?
>

> I just have to ask you Karl. What OS or Linux distribution natively
> includes Sun Java? What OS or Linux distribution natively includes the
> Nvidia drivers that you install?
----
WRT Sun's Java, you know that Karl won't know that answer but I do.

The answer is here...
https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/

which of course still begs the issue of their license which is
restrictive.

nVidia is of course, a horse of another color since only binaries exist
and there is no source to study at all.

Craig