Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Dean S. Messing wrote:
Karl wrote:
: Tim wrote:
: > Tim:
: > : >>> Try a different browser, just in case Firefox (or : Now I have a file that appears to be a respin of F8. It seemed to : work fine but the system doesn't want to stop! Instead of stopping it : keeps asking for the location of another DVD to read :-) : : But Conrol C stopped it and the file size is what I expected for a : fully updated F8 3443793697 2007-12-27 15:00 but it is a .iso.tmp file. : I can fix that.

I would be in doubt if I were you.  I didn't use a mounted reference
DVD for my jigdo downloads but when they finished, each did a
final checksum on the .iso and renamed it w/o the .tmp suffix.

I have no idea if restarting will just begin where it left off or
start the process all over again.

Also note that the size of the .iso.tmp is misleading.  Jigdo
allocates the entire space for the .iso at the beginning and populates
it with the directory/file structure, but those files are full of
nulls until the appropriate package is downloaded.

: I used the jigdo file that rday has on his web page and choose : number 6 for a i386 DVD which seems to be correct.

In short I would not trust your .iso.tmp unless you've checksummed it
manually.  For fun, you can also mount the .iso.tmp file via loopback
and look inside.  Try doing `rpm -pqi' on a few of the .rpm files to
see what you get.  When I did that at the beginning of my run, the
command returned an empty line. When I looked inside (with emacs)
it was filled with ^@  (nulls).

: I have been collecting bits of writing and copies of terminal data : to be part of a new potential Instruction for using Jigdo. It will be : ready tomorrow I hope.

We'll be holding our breath until then. œ-)

Dean

I have forgot the darn loopback thing. Looking in man mount there is nothing loopback listed. Anyone recall?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User