Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 03:11:54 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
	[snipperoo]
> i tweaked the wiki page to emphasize that, yes, it *is* the jigdo-lite
> command that you run -- that wasn't a typo, as a couple commenters might
> have thought.
>
> and i added the commands to unmount the DVD from under /media and
> remount it under /mnt to get around the issue with the initial mount
> point having embedded spaces, for those who aren't familiar with
> manually mounting media.
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/
Getting_Fedora_respins_with_Jigdo

	I had another look this morning, and found the revised directions
fabulous, simply fabulous -- I did what they said, and jigdo started
right up; what's more, it seemed to be giving me percentages accomplished
at a glorious rate.

	That was over four hours ago. It seems the percentages, like
yum's, are of individual pieces -- out of however many tens of thousands
of such pieces are on the everything DVD -- with, as others have
commented, *no* *way* to let you even guess how well or how much it's
doing.

	What has also become obvious is that jigdo keeps jumping around
from mirror to mirror like a bedbug with St. Vitus Dance on a hot tin
roof. Is it supposed to do *that*??

	There are five files that look to be relevant, showing (all with
padlocks) in the nautilus of my home directory, the place I had told
jigdo to put the .iso when it got it together.

	One ends in .jigdo, and seems steady at 529 KB; one in .iso.list,
also apparently steady at 325 KB; one in .iso.template, steady at 183 MB;
one in .iso.tmp, steady 3.2 GB; and one is called jigdo-file-cache.db,
also steady, at 16 KB. (There is also a Fedora-Unity-<...>.iso.tmpdir up
among the folders; it also has a padlock emblem, belongs to root, and is
*not* steady, but still under 30 MB after all these four hours.)

	At least three times now, jigdo has declared itself
"FINISHED" [emphasis jigdo's] -- and immediately (one or two seconds
later) started up again, faster than I could have reacted if I'd been
hovering over it.

	What's more, oddly enough, the nautilus view of "Computer" (on my
desktop) correctly shows both this machine's internal CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
drive (which contains my original F8 DVD) and its external CD-RW/DVD+-RW
drive -- and thinks both are empty!

	Maybe that means telling it to look in /media failed, so that it
didn't find it and isn't using it.

	And I can't find where it's *holding* all this humongous
download: the only folder under / big enough to contain even one DVD is /
home/btth, and even that shows size steady at 5.0 GB. (I suppose it'll
find its way into that .isotmpdir folder in time, but where is it
meanwhile??)

	Fwiw, gnome-system-monitor shows jigdo-lite, with wget as a
dependency from it -- both sleeping.

	Yet the bedbug dance goes on ....
Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0