Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe so, but you have obviously done this several times previously,
>>> David. As far as the gui is concerned, no it is not needed, but the
>>> majority of us would like to have one with 2 or three file requesters to
>>> use, one for getting the src listing from the url, one for finding that
>>> src list on your machine once its been downloaded, and one to tell it
>>> where to put the results.  With such a working gui that launched the
>>> jigdo-lite as a background process giving it the correct syntax and data
>>> as derived from the file requesters, I'd bet that jigdo usage would
>>> multiply by 10 in a week.
>> I don't recall if I pointed you at this site page before or not. I have
>> others. But it just about does not get more clear than this. Done by
>> Fedora people, for Fedora people, to download Fedora isos.
>>

>> Using Jigdo to Download Re-Spin ISOs
>> http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/
>>

>> This site gives very good, clear instructions. They were for me. And, as
>> an experiment, I just did this again while running Windows XP Pro. That
>> was interesting because there are next to no instructions for that way.
>> And none of the Linux instructions 'work' in the Windows jigdo. They are
>> all actually writen for Debian isos and had to be edited.
>>
>> And yes I have done this before now. Several times. Just for giggles and
>> grins. I have also, somewhere, the necessary rsync CLI that will let you
>> 'change' a rc1 beta to a rc2 beta iso by just 'diffing' the changed
>> parts of the contents between the two.
>> --
>>
> And that, David, TBT, makes a heck of a lot more sense.  That should be
> published, but I suspect a carefull reading of the rsync docs would soon
> re-invent that particular wheel.

This got to bugging me. Many boxes of junk searches looking in notebooks
later:

Here is the information that I used. It is dated and I did have to
'edit' it to fit what I was doing, from where, and where I was doing it.
It was quite fast even on the 56k modem I was using at the time.

The *exact* line that I used for this experiment was this: (all on one
line - note the 'space' between .iso and .)

rsync -auvH
mirrors.usc.edu::mandrakelinux/official/iso/2007.0/DVD/mandriva-free-2007-DVD.iso
.

The information came from here:

Using rsync to Update Mandrake-Linux ISO Images
http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/rsync-mandrakeiso.html

Sometimes we have more time than brains.  ;-)

- --

  David