Re: listening to protected audio cds

On 24/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> > Konstantin Svist wrote:
> >> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
> >> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all.
> >> Sometimes, the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes
> >> or so - but it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
> >>
> >> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
> >>
> >> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.
> >>

> I'm pretty sure that as long as normal audio players (e.g. in your car)
> can play the CD, the PC CD/DVD drive can play one as well. Back when I
> was using Windows, I've killed autorun immediately upon windows install
> since '97 or so - so none of the protected CDs ever installed anything.
> And yet, I was able to run audiograbber and rip the CDs that Linux
> refused to recognize.
>
> So.. why such a big difference?
> I get that the CD tries to confuse the computer by having a mangled data
> track - and the audio-only player just ignores that track. So, the
> question is, why can't I tell Linux "Don't try read this next CD
> automatically, you'll get confused. Lucky for you, I know it's an audio
> CD, so just play the damn audio!!"?

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem *ripping* CDs
under Linux, even when they were mangled to prevent them
playing normally in a CD-ROM drive.  This sometimes seems
to be the best work-around for the issue (with the added
bonus that you now have a back-up in case anything
happens to the CD).  Personally I've always avoided
installing the software these things have wanted to install
in Windows, as I'm sure it's generally broken enough to
damage the rest of the system.

I'd be interested to know what CD was causing a problem
(since broken discs are becoming less popular as far as I
can tell, or maybe I'm just buying less 'popular' music
these days).

Merry Christmas to all!

--
imalone