Re: Advice on Intel Wireless card

On Dec 24, 2007 6:21 PM, Greg Sieranski <greg.sieranski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I currently have a t60p with an  Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418
> 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter that I have had very minimal
> luck getting to work. The madwifi drivers are just not working
> consistently enough for me to even bother turning on my wireless. I am
> ready to swap the card for either the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
> or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. I was just looking for some
> advice on which card I should go with. I would really like to be able to
> just put the card in, install the firmware drivers and have it work.
> What do you guys think?
>
> Thanks,
> gs
>
> --

Hi Greg Sieranski!

I think it might be interesting for you to try an Ubuntu Live CD.  My
experiance with another Atheros card is that I immediately was able to
establish WPA-PSK encrypted connection with our router.  I was happy.

I think that in the Fedora environment you can probably get there.
Probably four to eight hours of your time to do so.  Hopefully someone
out there will make me revise this estimate.

I think that if your research on the card you are thinking of
obtaining is good and your time is worth much to you, then you should
get the card.

I did little Googling on this but here is a link:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a/b/g/n_Wireless_LAN_Mini_Express_Adapter

Have Fun!

Tod

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a/b/g/n_Wireless_LAN_Mini_Express_Adapter