Re: Fedora 8 review

On Dec 23, 2007 10:37 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim:
> >> I listened to the whole thing, and all the did was complain about how it
> >> looked.  The theme, the layout for the installer, how the options were
> >> presented to you to partition the drive, etc.
>
> Arthur Pemberton:
> > Then I guess we listened to different clips. Because all what you
> > mentioned there was just about Anaconda, and not even about the rest
> > of Fedora which they did in fact talk about.
>
> They spent quite a lot of time on that, but the overall comment was
> about how they thought it *looked*.  Overall, it doesn't look ready,
> etc.
>
> Whilst other things got *some* mention, all the way through their little
> radio show, that was the repeated comment regarding just about
> everything.

I would love to see a more interesting, anaconda: changing the look
might help to, but I'm not much of a designs, however Anaconda does
look plain, I just don't happen to have a problem with a plain look.

If anyone is really interested in my idea(s), I may be able to put
together a flow chart.

However, that aside, I agree almost completely with their view that
Fedora has a bit of an identity crisis. Consider this question... what
is Fedora for? Here are the responses I come up with if I were to
answer this:

 * testing ground for RHEL/CentOS
 * testing ground for new software in general
 * pure open source workstation
 * for those that happen to like Fedora

And as you may notice, that last one is a bit recursive.

I think it is fair to say that Fedora is not for the following for
different reasons:
 * production server
 * desktop of even an average linux user
 * embedded systems

I happen to use Fedora as my primary desktop myself, which easily
meets more of my multimedia needs that my Windows XP laptop.

( www.pembo13.com )