Re: Need real beginners kernel exploration advice !?

William Case wrote:
Hi;

I think the time has come for me to start exploring the Linux kernel in
some depth.  I have installed kvm, qemu and git.  It seems to all be
present and working. I have reviewed the kvm, qemu and git sites about
how to start using those programs???

William, hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "start exploring the Linux kernel". I assume that by that you mean "start developing in kernel environment" and not "compiling Linux kernel" (the latter doesn't require exploring as such). You already have kernel binary installed -- /boot/vmlinuz symlink points to it. As to sources, you should download the source RPM (src.rpm) and install it, just like regular rpm. Then, do
rpmbuild -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel.spec
and it will put a vanilla kernel in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.23/ vanilla and Fedora kernel in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.23/linux-2.6.23.x86_64/

Good luck,