Need real beginners kernel exploration advice !?

Hi;

I think the time has come for me to start exploring the Linux kernel in
some depth.  I have installed kvm, qemu and git.  It seems to all be
present and working. I have reviewed the kvm, qemu and git sites about
how to start using those programs???

I need a copy of Fedora 8-x64 kernel binary and source plus the kernel
documentation.  There used to be a Fedora source page which I can no
longer find, at least not anything newer than 2006. All the kernel
binaries that I can see on the Fedora site are rpms.  I don't want to
take the chance that these may get installed over my existing system.

I want to download or copy the kernel to a new user I have created for
this purpose.  I want to do it in such a way that this new downloaded or
copied kernel has no chance of interfering with my existing system.

What libraries do I have to make sure that I also get for this purpose?

I don't think I need in depth details, but pointers to the locations of
the various Fedora binaries and sources would be helpful.

Any experienced advice that helps me get off on the right foot safely
would be gratefully appreciated.

--
Regards Bill