Re: Fedora Core 6 No More

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:36 -0800, Ed Kasky wrote:

> Has anyone had any difficultes that caused major downtime during an
> upgrade to 8 from 5 or 6?
>
> Are there and special precatutions one should take aside from having

There are those of us that don't advise upgrading at all. When I jumped
from 5 to 6 using upgrade, udev went to hell in a way that never was
fixed. So, I now back up everything worth keeping to a second harddrive
that I only mount for that occasion, and then do a clean install. I do
that every time now, an have far fewer problems in the aftermath. To me,
an upgrade is way too iffy for anyone that isn't just playing around
with their machine. Then you start off with a install that "should" work
(pardon the "should") and if something goes to hell when you restore
from your backup, then you know where the problem lies. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar