Re: Fedora Core 6 No More

"Rahul Tidke" wrote:
> Hello!
>     I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
> applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
> updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am doubtful
> about continuing its use in future??
>     I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
> (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
>  My question is
>
>  1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??

This is the usually recommended path.  I plan to upgrade my .i686.fc6
laptop to .x86_64.fc8 just as soon as I finish sorting out all of my
server issues from its fc5->fc8 upgrade.

>  2) What actually end of life means??

It means that RedHat will no longer be providing any more updates of any
of the .fc6 RPMs.  You are stuck with what you have.

>  3) Can I apply (kernel/software) updates after end of life?

You can do anything you want to.  The best thing to do would be to
download all the SRC RPMs for your packages, apply any patches/updates
yourself and rebuild them locally on your machines and then install
them.  You'd be on your own if something doesn't work, as fc6 support
will be hard to find.  You'd probably want to subscribe to a number of
email lists just to stay current on security holes.  More work than its
worth, I think.

>  4) Is there any security threat?

Always.  You run the risk of some yet to be discovered flaw being fixed
in fc7 or fc8 RPMs that never get fixed in your fc6 RPMs.  Then, you
would be running software with some known vulnerabilities and you
wouldn't have fixes for them.

> Thank you.

Good Luck!

--