Re: Fedora on an ASUS G23-B2

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Claude Jones wrote:
I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to revert to XP but that's another story for another list.

VISTA only?  Hard to believe a gaming machine won't support XP.

On their download site, I couldn't find any drivers listed for XP - I intend to revisit the search, and send in a query before I give up - it is somewhat surprising - one thing they stuck on this machine is Turbo Memory, which definitely only works with Vista, so, there may be something in that - a decision to market a Vista only machine that could take advantage of new technology from Intel. But, a gaming laptop that can only run Vista??? That's definitely an 'interesting' marketing concept.
According to ASUS technical specs, it uses an NVidia 8600M GS graphics
processor.

According to NVidia's documentation, the 8600M GS is supported by the
NVidia proprietary Unified Xorg driver.  The current version is 169.07,
released on 12/20/07.  This is the driver you need to concentrate on
getting to work.  I'm somewhat surprised that you can't get anything to
work except for the VESA driver.  The nv driver should at work in 2D
mode (without 3D acceleration support).  Perhaps the GPU is too new(?)
and appears as an unknown/unsupported GPU to the older software?

I appreciate your taking time to look into that - it was not my intention that you do my research. I actually did know the graphics processor involved and a trip to the nVidia site was on my agenda - I was just seeking a quick answer to the question of whether anyone was successfully running Fedora on this model laptop