Re: Canon flat scanner N650U and Fedora 7

Robert:
>> I was getting grief from a little Canon lIDE 35 because the computer m/b
>> apparently didn't supply enough current to power it.  Solution was to
>> buy a POWERED USB hub to plug it into.  It now works like a champ.
>> I had the advantage of having 2 computers with identical kernels. One
>> worked, one didn't.  For the record, the failing m/b was an ASUS a7n8x
>> deluxe ver 2.

Akhil Kapoor:
> Thanks for the info but the setup works with windows.

It's still a *potential* solution.  Power through USB is supposed to be
software controlled.  According to the specifications, only a low level
of power is supplied by default, and higher levels must be negotiated.
If there's a USB driving issue with your hardware, the negotiation
mayn't be working.

It's not unknown that some things seemed to work with broken
implementations of USB on Windows, that happens to match also broken
designs of USB devices, but the same devices wouldn't work on something
else (not Windows) that used USB properly.  I read about this with
USB-powered external disc drives, if I remember correctly.

An external powered hub can supply power to USB-powered devices in a
different manner than the motherboard might.  And can help deal with
devices that demand more power than they should from USB ports.

I can recall other tales about some USB-powered scanners being less than
reliable on Windows, but quite fine when powered alternatively.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.