Re: OT: scripting help - can you check a string for starts with?

John Summerfield:
>> the example's fine, but read again what he's looking at:-)

Tony Nelson:
> Yes, so?  Your "real one" will be found also.  If you think what I said
> won't work, give a counterexample.  Perhaps you don't want to nest two case
> statements, one for "Produce Name:" and the other for the specific
> products?  It's not really needed, as the match strings could all start
> with "Product Name:"*.
>
> case $line in
>     "Product Name:"*)
>         case $line in
>             *"HP Compaq dc7700"*) echo "found $printername" ;;
>         esac ;;
> esac

I read John's comment of the "example's fine," as saying that the
function of what the code would do was fine.  But there being a bit of a
humorous dig about the OP's not looking for the name of a *printer*.

i.e. He expected you would have written something more like "found
$boardtype".

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.