OT: scripting help - can you check a string for starts with?

Need a bit of scripting help. I have a very small script with a case
statement. The object of the case statement is derived from the
dmidecode command to determine the type of machine it is, if possible.
It works fine, but we're finding that a lot of the HP type machines
respond with a model number plus other information. For example, we
might get these two:

HP Compaq dc7700 30GB6000
HP Compaq dc7700 60GB6000

Those are completely made up, the point being that we want to match on
just "HP Compaq dc7700" and forget the rest.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that from the case statement, but can it be
done by an if/then? I've been googling and can't find a way, so I'm
starting to think I can't.

I have to do this from a bash script. I don't believe I use perl or
anything like that for what we're doing.

Any help is appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a good book on bash scripting? There's probably
quite a few, so I'd prefer to start with recommendations. Good chance
it's been asked before so I'll try the archives too. A good website
could be helpful to. Came across a few, but none that I thought were
great.

Thanks,
James