Simple HowTo

Hello everyone!

I started this thread so let me see if I can clarify my point of view.

Initially I asked if there was a simple HowTo for Apache HTTPD, Apache
Tomcat, Sun Java, and mod_jk.  I did this because I found on the internet
at least 6 different ways to make this work, but all were incomplete in one
way or another. Also, I could not find a way to combine them. The response
was for me to use the RPM packages provided by Fedora with the exception of
the Sun Java where I was on my own. And why not use IcedTea?  Why not use
the full complete Java? I had not gotten to my need for Eclipse and the
fact I run Oracle 10G on this machine.

Here are my concerns about that:
      I use LVM, but I don't believe that is normal.  I think that when a
      install is done, the default configuration is used (i.e. /boot; /;
      /home; and swap) regardless of the size of the hard drive(s).
      The latest releases (Fedora 7 and 8) have moved away from the older
      IDE constructs (up to 15 partitions) to a more SCSI construct (up to
      6(?) partitions). So all older definitions where we learned that one
      of the better installations defined specific file systems and mount
      points now must move to a more M$ C: drive mentality.  If I want to
      avoid this I must use LVM so that I can define file systems for the
      entire tree.
      I have no doubt that the RPMs contain all that are needed, except I
      can no longer control where it goes.  You don't tell me where it's
      going to go ahead of time so I can make a file system large enough
      and named correctly (more C: drive mentality).  And I need to know
      this ahead of time so I can do the correct thing while in Disk Druid.
      In the FHS, where does it say that Apache HTTPD, Apache Tomcat,
      mod_jk, and the Sun Java should go?

Other Points:
      /opt and /usr/local are going to be defined regardless if you have
      built a separate file system for them or not.  They are a part of the
      standard file hierarchy.
      Yum doesn't know nor should it know about software installed outside
      of it's environment.  One great piece of software is jedit and there
      is no RPM for it - are you saying I shouldn't use it? There are a lot
      of good packages out there that aren't packaged in RPM format (jedit
      is a java program). The defacto standard for packages is .tar.gz
      I've used yum when it was only on the Yellowdog distro (yum =
      yellowdog update manager).  I started in Linux when there was no RPM.

Resources:
   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html

Thanks,
Gene Poole